Gary Moller: [DipPhEd PGDipRehab PGDipSportMed(Otago)FCE Certified, Kordel's and Nutra-Life Certified Natural Health Consultant]. ICL Laboratories registered Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis and Medical Nutrition Consultant.

More than a thousand free articles with advice and commentary about health, fitness and medical matters.

Gary's new website

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Scrubbing away the bugs

Leading antibacterial cleaners claim to kill 99 percent of the bacteria on the surfaces where it is applied. What do you suppose happens to the other 1 percent?
Those resistant bacteria are living and multiplying, of course, creating a strain that soon those same cleaners won’t be able to kill.
____________________________
Gary Moller comments:
The best way to ensure good hygiene is to scrub way the bugs mechanically. This means using soap and warm water for cleaning sufaces in the kitchen and in the bathroom. Chemical cleaners are heavily promoted and the need to scrub is all but dismissed as being unnecessary. You know the ads: The ones that demonstrate squirting a chemical into the toilet bowl and leaving it to do the dirty work.

The problem is that 1% of the bugs that survive flourish to become a super bug. This is what is happening in our hospitals where such bugs are getting out of hand.

In the case of infections of wounds the tandard treatment is to treat with chemicals and antibiotics. In the last 29 years I have met only one doctor who took the time with an infection to carefully debride and clean the wound and then dress it himself. If this is ever done, the job is handed to the nurse to do. More often than not, the wound is superficially cleaned, a dressing applied and a prescription for an antibiotic given.

The better treatment in most cases of infection is to manually clean all the dead skin and other debris that are the food source for bugs, dress the wound with a sterile dressing and repeat the cleaning and dressing process twice a day. By removing the food source, any bacteria can not survive and the few that do are easily handled by the body's natural defences. The worst a person can do is leave a dressing on a wound for more than a day because it becomes a festering breeding ground for bugs.

The over use of antibiotics lead to sloppy hygiene practices and now that such sloppy practices are now the norm, so is the ongoing use of antibiotics.
Post a Comment