This is where regular skid pan testing is important.
The following is a visual presentation of such testing on steep, rocky terrain, such as found in Wellington.
- Take one very expensive bike and one willing (stupid/cocky) person.
- Choose Your testing ground (preferably very steep and rocky - of course!).
- Hurtle down the slope at high speed, choosing carefully your skid pan test point (when and where you apply the brakes).
- Apply brakes.
- Close eyes.
Assessing your results:
- You remain either upright or not!
Protective gear worn during test:
- Safety glasses
- Rash guards on shoulder and hips
- Two layers of lycra shorts
- Rugby vest with impact padding
- Place sex life on indefinite hold.
The following is a visual record of a human skid pan test.
|Shaved ham anybody?|
|NB: Ensure no scratches on frame by sacrificing body beneath cycle at moment of impact|
Alternative title for this post(as suggested by his very understanding partner, Alofa)
"Gary's mountain bike crash: Number 101"